Write a case study on Drugs Affecting Cholinergic Function
Write a case study on Drugs Affecting Cholinergic Function.Use the Herman Witherspoon case for your study.He is 78 years old, a retired businessman with a history of renal disease. He was admitted to the hospital with a myocardial infarction (MI).
After he is stabilized, he develops a significant bradyrhythmia, with a pulse rate of 48. He is treated with 4 doses of atropine 1 mg IV push every hour until stable. At this time, Mr. Witherspoon says to the nurse, “Stewardess, this plane isn’t going to Detroit is it? I’m supposed to be in Seattle for a conference.” Data obtained from the nursing assessment include the following:
• Skin is warm, flushed, and dry
• Pupils dilated
Vital signs: temperature, 98.6°F; pulse, 120; respirations, 24; blood pressure, 120/70. (Learning Objectives 4, 5, 6, 8, 9)
Write a case study on Drugs Affecting Cholinergic Function answering the questions below.
1. Why is Mr. Witherspoon on this drug?
2. What patient variables are most important to consider for Mr. Witherspoon when assessing his drug therapy?
3. Are there any aspects of core drug knowledge that are especially relevant to consider because they may interact with the core patient variables?
4. Which findings from the nursing assessment demonstrate the effectiveness of drug therapy?
5. Which findings from the nursing assessment demonstrate possible adverse effects from drug therapy?
6. What actions are indicated to maximize therapeutic effects?
7. What actions are indicated to minimize adverse effects?
8. What teaching is required for Mr. Witherspoon regarding his drug therapy? Do you need any additional data to determine appropriate teaching?