What is the mechanism that Bordetella pertussis uses to invade epithelial cells in the lungs?
For this forum choose one of these scenarios;
Topic 1. you are the parent of a child with Whooping cough.
Topic 2. you are a nurse working in the ER with a child present in critical condition with Whooping cough.
Topic 3. you are the doctor treating a child with Whooping cough.
Topic 4. you are a research scientist interested in which antibiotics work best in infants.
Topic 5. you are the CNA assigned to the room of the sick patient and you have an infant at home who is six weeks old.
Then, address all of the following questions in your own words in a narrative format;
1. What is the mechanism that Bordetella pertussis uses to invade epithelial cells in the lungs?
2. Why does this Gram-negative bacteria cause the characteristic cough that it does?
3. Why is infant mortality high?
4. Based on the information, what does this suggest regarding the evolution (selection) of Bordetella pertussis strains?
5. What is the mode of transmission of Bordetella pertussis?