Speech Critique: First Lady Michelle Obama Calls on You to Serve
For this assignment, you will critique a persuasive or informative speech.
- Analyze guidelines for critically evaluating speeches.
- Evaluate the suggested guidelines for informative speaking, the supporting materials of a speech, and the varied types of presentation aids.
- Analyze the goals and guidelines of a persuasive speech.
- Explore the three types of persuasive speeches and the fallacies of logical, emotional, and credibility appeals.
- Review the guidelines for critically evaluating speeches given in the textbook and in the learning activities.
- View one of the following speeches: The History of YouTube (Link will open in new tab.) (Links to an external site.), Depression is an Illness, Not a Weakness (Link will open in this tab.) (Links to an external site.)Michelle Obama Calls on You to Serve (Link will open in new tab.) (Links to an external site.)Reducing Carbon Pollution in Our Power Plants (Link will open in new tab.) (Links to an external site.).
- Write a four to six page critique of the speech you chose. It might be helpful to watch the speech you have chosen to evaluate, twice.
- Use the following checklist to guide your critique:
- Did the speaker choose a topic that was relevant and interesting to the audience, with a clear purpose?
- Did the speaker ensure that his or her topic was researched adequately?
- What in particular interested you most in this speaker and their topic?
- Did the speaker deliver an introduction that gained attention and oriented the audience?
- Was the speech clear, vivid, appropriate, well-organized, and powerful?
- Was each main point adequately supported?
the book used in class is DeVito, J.A. (2020) Essentials Of Human Communication 10th edition chapters 13 & 14
- Did the speaker create a speech with personal style by asking direct questions and creating immediacy?
- Did the conclusion summarize the thesis and provide closure?
- Did the speaker use effective volume, eye contact, speech rate, pausing, and gestures?
- What recommendations, if any, would you give the speaker to improve upon their speech?
- The use of outside resources is strongly recommended, and all papers must be cited and written in current APA format.
Requirements: 4-6 pages