Select a food-related memory from your life to write about
During this week’s lecture, you learned about how and why food memoirists attach larger meanings to their stories. What theme(s) / larger meaning(s) does Adichie’s food memoir essay “Real Food” set forth? Does she imply her theme(s) or directly state it/them? Does she use any food symbolism to bring her theme(s) to light? Explain.
2. Draft Signature Assignment Part 1
Prompt: Select a food-related memory from your life to write about. Then, compose a narrative essay in which you bring this experience to life. Your essay should a) describe the memory using specific descriptive details and b) offer a clear purpose for telling the story (explain what you learned from the experience) (NOTE: this essay should be told from first person point-of-view).
I wrote Three short different food stories that related to me, you can choose one of them and add more to it.
- The first time I tasted a certain food / dish
- The last time I will ever eat a certain food / dish
- The best meal I’ve ever eaten at a restaurant
- The worst meal I’ve ever eaten at a restaurant
- A meal I cooked for someone special
- A meal someone special cooked for me
- A food / dish that will always remind me of a certain person
- A food / dish that will always remind me of a certain place
- A food / dish that will always remind me of a certain time in my life
- A food / dish that makes me mad
- A food / dish that makes me happy
- The most expensive meal I’ve ever eaten
- If I had to eat the same meal every day of my life it would be
- A food that did (or did not) meet my high expectations
Do not feel limited by the above topics; pick a topic you are passionate about!