What are three things that you’ve learned from the experiences of Black women in America that you would share with family/friends and why?
Guiding question of your paper is, What are three things that you’ve learned from the experiences of Black women in America that you would share with family/friends and why?
You must use and cite two of the assigned readings. The best way to think of this paper is as a hybrid between a personal narrative paper and a traditional explanatory essay. Your goal isn’t to write a piece that is a 50/50 split between the purposes of these approaches to writing. Instead, you will have to discover a ratio that works for you. With these points in mind, this paper requires a formal thesis statement where you argue a point. One implicit idea you’ve been learning this semester is, not every essay argues for or against an idea. Some papers are expository or explanatory writing, where the goal is to provide an overview of terms, thinkers, or ideas. For this assignment, you will explain the course materials while answering the guiding question.
Potential Starting Points:
- Which readings stood out to you this semester? Why?
- How have Black women responded to their exclusion from mainstream Feminist and Black Liberation movements?
- What is unique about living at the intersection of gender and race in America?
- Are there points of overlap between your lived experience and the content explored throughout the semester?
- Exploring what you’ve learned about the oppression and marginalization of Black women in American society?
- Why is it important to study the experiences of oppressed communities, like Black women, in America? What do we learn about living in society?
- What is the difference between Black Feminism(s) and Black Womanism(s)? What’s the importance of both terms?
The questions above are general prompts for you to consider as you develop your paper. Then, you can decide how personal this paper’s content is and take as much space as needed to explore those ideas (as long as you address the two required readings from class).
- 4-5 pages, double spaced, times new roman, 12pt font, standard margins.