Humanities Question- Knowledge Regarding Nutrition
This week, I want you to think about what nutrition is, and to then assess your current nutritional habits. This will provide insight and guidance as we move forward in the class in tracking our nutrition.
Please answer the following questions in complete sentences:
- What is your current knowledge regarding nutrition?
- Where do you currently get your nutrition information and news from?
- Create a list of foods that you generally eat (this doesn’t need to be in sentence form). What are the reasons for gravitating toward some of these foods (stress, family tradition, cheap cost, etc)?
- In regard to the list you just created, do you think that these foods align with principles of a healthy diet? Do you believe that these foods will either help or hinder your current and/or future health…why?
- What do you think is the relationship between good nutrition and good health?
- What are some principles that you believe make up a healthy diet?
- Do you have a family history of diseases that have been linked to nutrition (ex. cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, etc.)?
- Does your family help you or hinder you when it comes to making healthy choices? Explain.
- Do you believe that you are getting too much, too little, or the right amount of the following? Explain:
- Vitamins and Minerals (you can be general or specific for this one)
- How often do you eat out vs. eat meals at home during the week? What would you say the primary reason for eating out is? (Examples: lack of time, it’s cheaper for me to eat out, socialization with family/friends, I don’t know how to cook, etc.)
- How often do you (or a family member) cook your own food versus eating frozen or packaged foods?
- What are your opinions regarding dieting? Have you ever tried dieting and if so what was your experience like?
- Do you have any food allergies or intolerances?
- Do you have access to healthy food options? Where do you normally buy your groceries?
- What are some insights that you are hoping to gain through the dietary analysis assignments?