Explain health psychology and Progression of Pain in Sickness
Introduction to Health Psychology
Learning objectives and outcomes
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Describe the key theoretical frameworks which underpin a psychological approach to physical health
2. Understand the role of health behaviours in explaining health
3. Describe the psychological factors involved in the onset, maintenance and change of health behaviours.
4. Describe the role of illness beliefs and symptom perception in help seeking and the consultation
5. Describe the psychological factors involved in the stress / illness link and the perception and treatment of pain
6. Describe the ways in which health behaviours, illness beliefs, symptom perception, stress and pain are key to chronic illnesses.
7. Describe how health varies by gender
8. Understand the importance of psychological health outcomes including quality of life and health status
In your reading, by Dr. Jane Ogden, you were asked to consider the last time you were in pain (e.g. head ache, stomach pain, broken bone, etc.). How did your pain experience change throughout the time that you had it?. Did you experience any psychological factors? Be sure to draw from all of your readings.