Describe the characteristics of a prokaryotic genome.
- Explain the principle of genetic engineering and their applications.
- Select appropriate methods to study microorganisms.
- Analyze the role of microbes in human disease and public health.
Unit outcomes addressed in this assignment:
- Discuss standard methods used in the field of microbiology
- Explain the importance of plasmids in bacterial genetics and in genetic engineering
- Explain Human/microbe relationships
- Analyze virulence factors of pathogens including public health importance
Course outcomes assessed with this assignment:
HS320-4: Discuss the principles of microbial genetics in health science.
HS320-5: Analyze the role of microbes in human disease and public health.
GEL 1.02: Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.
Instructions (you must follow the main ideas you outlined in unit 3 assignment)
- Write an essay that analyzes “The role of any chosen pathogen in human health and disease and public health”
- Using the knowledge you have gained throughout this course, your final paper must include the following:
- Appropriate microscopic, cultivation and non-cultivation methods for the chosen pathogen
- Importance of plasmids in bacterial genetics and in genetic engineering
- Human / microbe relationships
- Analysis of the virulence factors of microorganisms (include public health importance)
- Prevention and treatments strategies
Requirements: see details