Bertolt Brecht’s Mother Courage and its representation of gender
Bertolt Brecht’s Mother Courage. (How does Mother Courage represent gender?)
write an essay on it in response to one of the following questions:
Billy Wilder’s Double Indemnity
1. How does Double Indemnity represent gender?
2. How does the form of Double Indemnity convey its meaning?
3. bell hooks writes that “often multiple standpoints are expressed in an existing film. A film may have incredibly revolutionary standpoints merged with conservative ones” (2012, 3). Discuss in relation to Double Indemnity. A sonnet by Petrarch, Shakespeare, Smith or Brecht.
4. How is gender represented in your chosen sonnet?
5. How does the sound of your chosen sonnet shape its meaning?
6. Sonnets are arguments. Discuss in relation to a single sonnet. Bertolt Brecht’s Mother Courage.
7. Mother Courage and Her Children is an explicitly ideological play. Identify and critically evaluate some of the ways Brecht conveys his message.
8. How does Mother Courage represent gender?
9. Explain how the form of Mother Courage conveys the play’s meaning.
Your essay should develop an argument supported by examples from your chosen text, and with references to secondary sources.