Discuss your observations as an alien-child anthropologist based on the article Body Ritual Among The Nacirema
1. Read the Body Ritual Among The Nacirema (In the module. You should have read it before this)
2. Pretend you are an anthropologist (or an alien, or a child) from anther world. Explore your home and from an alien anthropologists’ perspective; what things about your culture is strange?
“Among the Nacirema, there is an aidem alter of every household. Households are centered around the aidem alter with the the largest room furnished with seating arrangements that are focused on the aidem alter. These seating arrangements are comfortable and are equipped with tools that create the ability to stay in front of the alter for long periods of time. Often, there are scaled down aidem alters in multiple rooms of a home for individual meditation. so on…”
3. Write a 300-600 word explanation of your observations as an alien-child anthropologist answering:
Note: you do not have to follow the parody tone of the reading and you may explore further the aidem alter or aidem in general.
- What does this say about the culture?
- Think about how and why this is important to your culture?
- What institutions are surrounding it?
- What practices surround it?
- How might it help / hurt the individual?
- How might it help/ hurt the collective?
4. Curate 3 – 5 images with captions that illustrate your idea about the bizarre practice you witness. Images can be sourced from the internet or taken from around your home. Ensure you cite the images. (see: https://style.mla.org/ask-the-mla/citing-screenshots-frame-captures/ (Links to an external site.))
exercise adapted from https://anth101.com/challenge2/
Get instant access to the full solution from www.essaycounter.com by clicking the purchase button below.
words limit:546 words